Russia’s top nuclear official says work on new weapons will continue
Tehran (KNA) - Russia’s chief nuclear official says the country will continue to pursue the development of new weapons, following the death of five top Russian nuclear scientists in an explosion last week.
Alexei Likhachev, director of Russia’s nuclear agency Rosatom, said in a memorial service for the five scientists in Sarov on Monday that they were the “pride of the country” and the “pride of the atomic sector.”
“The best tribute to them will be our continued work on new models of weapons, which will definitely be carried out to the end,” Likhachev said.
The explosion that killed the five scientists took place at an Arctic military facility on the coast of the White Sea last Thursday.
US military specialists speculate that the incident was linked to the testing of the new “Burevestnik” cruise missile, which Russian President Vladimir Putin had touted earlier this year.
Rosatom officials said the incident occurred during the testing of a rocket.