Trump says won't risk $110bn in Saudi arms deals over Khashoggi

10/12/2018 9:07:00 AM
b

Tehran (KNA) - US President Donald Trump says he is not willing to throw away billions of dollars in military deals with Saudi Arabia over the suspected murder of a prominent Saudi journalist at the hands of the Riyadh regime’s death squads in Turkey.


“What good does that do us?” Trump asked, speaking to reporters in the Oval Office on Thursday, nearly a week since Jamal Khashoggi’s mysterious disappearance after entering the Saudi consulate in the Turkish city of Istanbul.

“This took place in Turkey and to the best of our knowledge, Khashoggi is not a United States citizen,” Trump added, brushing aside the fact that the journalist lived in the US.

Concerned by Riyadh’s record of continued disregard for the right to free speech, several American lawmakers have asked Trump to pressure Riyadh until it comes clear about Khashoggi’s fate.

The most direct call for punishing Riyadh came from Republican Senator Rand Paul, who wrote in a tweet earlier in the day that the Saudi killings of dissidents and opposition journalists won’t stop unless the US stops “arming and assisting” Riyadh.

Source: PressTV

Total number of comments: 0

Leave a reply

Follow us by...